Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Solstice, Roses and Medicine Wheels



Happy Solstice Friends! Summer is really starting off with a lot of excitement. Not only did I get featured in Beadwork magazine, I got the coolest custom order for ten flat tab Tudor roses. They are one of my favorite designs and one of the most difficult beads to paint. It will take a few weeks to get them done. The designer is using them in the coolest and most
unexpected creation – which I will unveil when she sends me photos of the completed creation.



Watch my posts for a look at the beads in progress. I am also working on a summertime batch of southwest inspired and medicine wheel beads. The medicine wheel is an important symbol of unity and balance between people and nature, the internal and the external. It is a prayer and a blessing.
Medicine wheels were what inspired me to start painting beads over 20 years ago and they are some of my post popular beads. I get a number of custom orders every summer for these beads and it’s like coming back to my roots to paint them. I like to think of beads as little messengers you send out into the world with intention, prayer and blessings. The medicine wheel is the perfect symbol for that. It gives me great pride to say that my medicine wheel beads have been worn by both Robert Plant and Jon Anderson.
I am also starting on some more eggs and boxes including a custom order for “alchemy boxes” for a metaphysical book shop.

I think the symbols of alchemy could be the next popular set of symbols for the public. There are symbols for so many things and the shapes are beautiful and cool. Most importantly they carry meaning, and layers of meaning which would edify people who chose to become aware of the symbols that they wear.
I know I will be using them on my beads in the near future. My favorite are tall the symbols for gold. Gold meaning the perfection of the spirit, the purpose of alchemy.
I think I will write a blog post about each one of these subjects very soon. Right now my work table is a big mix of them all… that always makes me happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?